I thought this was appropriate for where I am in my life. I hope this speaks to you as much as it did me!!!!
Michelle Hilliard
IHOP-Atlanta
Night Watch
Journal: The Road Less Traveled
December 10, 2005 & January 12, 2006
3:53am
Temptation is a suggested short cut to the realization of the highest at which I aim - not towards what I understand as evil, but towards what I understand as good. -- Oswald Chambers
It is tempting to desire to take the path that is well traveled, the one that is shorter, quicker, the seeming easier version. This is the choice that is before us -the temptation that we must weigh. We could consider the path well traveled, but truly it would be a futile and fruitless journey. The reality in God is that there are no short cuts. No short strides toward true depth in this walk. We must press into "the road less traveled." We must press into this One who calls us to the adventure that we would not believe ahead of time and so cannot fully be revealed except by way of the journey. It is the journey of the unveiling of our very own path into the depths of the heart of our God. We can only rest, wait & hope in the truth that ours is a journey toward truth & the love that we long for. Our hearts cannot fully comprehend what they are searching for, and so we must embrace the longing to press into that search. It is in this moment, this hinge-point that we choose.
We are confronted with the call to set our feet to the course of the rugged road with all of its bends & winds and slippery slopes. It is simply the journey of longing - which is not a simple thing. The reality is that in this place of longing we are wounded for anything less than that which we desire to attain - the very heart of our God. Longing is a friend which compels us to the pressing on to the depth of desire that only can find it's rest, its home within The Heart that is beyond comprehension, and yet is revealed to those who search for His heart as deep treasure.
The choice is to allow the longing to grow and actually be an agent to draw us into the journey is one that very few choose. Our tendency often is to go after the "lesser loves" which so often only begin to numb the pain of the wound of longing. This then becomes our downfall in the journey. We choose to turn back, again taking on the road that is well-traveled rather than less.
So what sustains us in this place? What can we look to that will provide the compelling voice to continue to press into the seeking, the longing. Deep treasure must be sought after. Paul says that it is the prize that is set before us that compels us to press on. Ultimately our desire and longing in this journey is to know The Desire of all nations and that of every human heart. To get a glimpse of His splendor, His majesty…this begins to compel our little hearts to continue to press into the journey.
The book of James says that "as we draw near to God, He draws near to us," and yet Job says "our God is great and we do not know Him." This is the paradox which Paul expressed to the believers in Ephesus in chapter three of Ephesians, is that we can actually know this love which surpasses knowledge "…to KNOW the love of Christ, which SURPASSES KNOWLEDGE" - knowing that which surpasses knowledge? This overwhelms me! Jeremiah chapter 29 says that God will be found by us as we seek Him with all of our hearts. He will be found! What kind of amazing thought is that? He will be found by ME? How hard is that to fully grasp? This Uncreated Creator, who is the Great God of the Universe Who holds the heavens in the breadth of the span of His hand - He wants to make Himself known? This One - He is the one who speaks His Word over us and releases His Great Heart to us.
The song that Diana is singing on the 4-6am set 12/10:
There is none like YOU in all creation!! Who is like our God?? There is NONE!! He is beautiful, altogether lovely, altogether beautiful! JESUS YOU SHINE!! Who compares to You? You're Radiant, Your Beautiful, You...Glorious Branch of the Lord! Light from Heaven shine on us, break in from Eternity, for You are beautiful, glorious! Bright & Morning Star, You Shine!
The reality & great truth of eternity is that He has made a way into His heart, into His presence, into the very Holy of holies. It is through true desire - The Desire.
Jesus. The comprehensible One. The Beautiful One. The Glorious One. The Worthy One.
He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. He is the way into the heart of God. Colossians states that He [Jesus] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
Jesus reveals God.
John 17 says that this is eternal life that we would KNOW Him the only Father God and the Son Jesus whom He sent. This is my prayer tonight. To know, I mean really KNOW the love of God revealed in Christ Jesus and to truly understand the vast wonder of this truth & very present reality. For behold our God is Great! How Great is our God! There is none like Him! How could we think that we could know this love without taking the road less traveled? Pressing into the longing, the desire to know as we are known, to behold as we are beheld, truly it is the only path to choose. This I think, may be why eternal life is knowing Him, it will take eternity to search out the deep and vast ocean of His love.
Job 36:26 (New King James Version)
26 Behold, God is great, and we do not know Him;
Nor can the number of His years be discovered.
1 Corinthians 13:12 (New King James Version)
12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
1 Corinthians 13:12 (Amplified Bible)
12For now we are looking in a mirror that gives only a dim (blurred) reflection [of reality as [a]in a riddle or enigma], but then [when perfection comes] we shall see in reality and face to face! Now I know in part (imperfectly), but then I shall know and understand [b]fully and clearly, even in the same manner as I have been [c]fully and clearly known and understood [[d]by God].
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I LOVE the poem The Road Less Traveled. It's my favorite. I enjoyed this. Hope all is well.
Good post. I'm excited for you and the cool new stuff you're doing. I realized I don't have your phone number. I'm getting it from Jenn, then I'll be calling you and pestering you to come and see me sometime!
Post a Comment